Form I-9 Verification Service
Form I-9, officially called the Employment Eligibility Verification, is a United States Citizenship and immigration Services form. Mandated by the Immigration and Control Act of 1986, it is used to verify the identity and legal authorization of every individual who is recruited, referred for a fee, or hired for employment in the United States.
All U.S. employers must ensure:
- The employee completes Section 1 of the form no later than the first day of work for pay.
- The employee gives documents and form to the employer (or the agent/representative of the employer).
- The employer (or agent) completes Section 2 of the form no later than the 3rd business day the employee starts work for pay.
Notary Arlington offers Form I-9 Verification as a non-notarial contract service to employers who need a representative to meet with remote hire employees to ensure proper completion and verification Form I-9, in compliance with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services policies.
Basic Form I-9 Verification service includes:
- Scheduling and meeting face-to-face with the remote-hire employee at a mutually agreed location.
- Review and ensure proper completion of Form I-9, Section One: Employee Information and Attestation.
- If any errors are found in Section 1, the employee will be requested to make corrections as necessary, initialing any changes.
- Physically examine, in the employee’s presence, unexpired original identification documents they present from List A or Lists B and C.
- Verify both identity and employment authorization.
- Complete and sign Form I-9, Section Two: Employer or Authorized Representative Review and Verification.
- Unless otherwise instructed, the completed Form I-9 is returned to the employee.
- A travel charge is additional to the fee for this service.
Optional services that can be added to the basic service include:
- Shipping (same day or next business day) the completed Form I-9 Verification to the employer, via UPS Ground Delivery. A tracking number is provided.
- Emailing the employer a .pdf copy of the completed Form I-9.
- Emailing the employer a .pdf copy of identification documents presented by the employee.
Note: For privacy protection, upon acknowledgement of receipt by the employer of any .pdf copies created and emailed to them, Notary Arlington will delete all copies, including emails with .pdf attachments.
A notary public is often sought out for I-9 verification services because they are considered trustworthy, attentive to detail and experienced with checking identification credentials. A Form I-9 Verification conducted by Notary Arlington is not a notarial act. As such, Form I-9 Verifications are performed in the capacity of an independent contractor – not in the official capacity of a notary public.